Senior Front-End Software Engineer, Fusion Media Group
About the Company
Fusion Media Group (FMG) is a media company that connects with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about."
FMG has become one of the largest publishers on the web by producing content young, engaged audiences care about. We connect compelling content with larger audiences, registering 100M+ average monthly uniques and we reach more young adults than the competition, at 47M+ average monthly A18-34 uniques. FMG has the web's most original and beloved brands under one roof.
About the Role
Fusion Media Group is seeking a Senior front-end Software Engineer to help expand and maintain our Kinja publishing platform. You’ll work together with product managers, designers, and our growing engineering team to develop interesting new product experiences for the company, helping to expand our successful e-commerce campaigns and to improve the platform which powers the company’s beloved brands like Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, The Onion, The A.V. Club, ClickHole, The Root, Splinter, which reaches an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans. We’re looking for engineers with a strong passion for building usable, high-performance websites and web applications and who are interested in working with the latest browser and mobile capabilities. (We retire support for garbage browsers as fast as possible, you don’t have to worry about IE9 here!). The ideal candidate has a drive to learn and a willingness to teach. They prefer a collaborative approach to design and architecture, no matter how big or small.
- Working closely with our Product, Design, Engineering, and Business teams to create the best possible user experience
- Support all of our live Fusion Media Group properties while building out key frontend functions for platform users
- Conjure up new features and improve existing features
- 6+ years experience in web and/or mobile product development
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain technical tradeoffs to less technical colleagues
- Up-to-date knowledge of tools and practices for building a well-performing modern website
- Strong product intuition and experience collaborating closely with designers to bring elegant user-facing products to life
- A personal practice of creating testable, well documented, reusable code
- A passion for great user experiences on the web (or mobile) and a desire to work with a team that makes this a priority
- Desire to learn new skills and experiment with cutting-edge web technologies
- Experience with ReactJS, Backbone.js/Marionette.js, or a comparable frontend framework
- Experience with modern client-side tooling, such as ES6 and Webpack
- Experience with Scala and/or Play Framework